Sunday, August 29, 2010

Spiritual Development

I have a lot to catch up on in terms of blogging. Slowly, I hope to catch up. But, meanwhile, so that I don't fall further behind, I thought I should blog now even though I should be napping! ;)

It has been very interesting to watch Elijah grow in his experience of spirituality. The other day, I was reading to him some sections from children's Bible. I pointed to a picture and I asked him, "Who is that?" Not expecting a clear answer. He answers back, "God." I was so surprised. I think somehow he has learned that the Bible tells stories about God and he made the connection. There is a page of Jesus with lots of children hanging around him. When I asked him, "Who is this?" He responded, "Jesus," in Korean. The concept of Jesus and God is in his vocabulary. Now, I am praying and thinking about how to help him begin cultivating a relationship with God and Jesus.

Prayer--his first experience with prayer is over meals. He is great at saying, "Amen!" However, he has come to understand it beyond meals. Yesterday, we spent some time singing praise songs, and after each song, we would spend the time to pray for someone. We asked Elijah who he wanted to pray for after the first song. "Nol-gan for Nolan." So we prayed for Nolan. Then, it was "Christian" his cousin. Then, it was grandma and papa. So, we prayed for them. It is so precious to watch him put his two hands together, bow his head, and say, "Amen." Today, we expanded to praying for someone with an "ah-ya" (or an ouchie). May God hear his prayers and answer.

His favorite Bible story--Noah and the ark. The Good Samaritan. Daniel in the Lion's Den. He listens so intently and I can see in his eyes and expressions that he is processing everything he is hearing.

On a different note--Elijah knows how to play Jenga! It is pretty amazing to watch this one and a half year old take out a piece, put it on the top, and wait for mommy to take her turn before he takes his!

Oh yes, he loves to say the word, "CUTE." But, the funny thing is, he only uses the word for his stuffed animal, Babar, and to refer to babies. Funny!

Being a mom is really rewarding and God has given us an opportunity to care for two additional kids. Thank you, Lord!

2 comments:

SR Parent said...

Are you speaking in Korean to him, Rebecca? That's awesome! Iris loves to say "Amen" before we've even really prayed. I'm still encouraging the words to use (in English because I don't know enough in Mandarin Chinese). When do you return to India?

G-Kids Mom said...

Hi Cindy,
We got back to India about a week and a half ago. Yes, I'm trying to speak Korean to him but my vocabulary is pretty limited so we will see how long I can do this. Hope all is well with you.