Thursday, June 25, 2009

Elijah's New Home--India

We arrived in India on Sunday, June 21st. Currently, we are staying at our friends' home while we get the flat above them ready to move in. Hopefully, in the next couple of weeks, we will be able to move into our new flat and really settle in. We have also started reconnecting with our friends. We are finding that Nepalis love babies and of course, Elijah being one adorable baby, everyone wants to hold him. It's a good thing that Elijah is great with strangers and that he is so intrigued by people. So far, my dhaal (lentil) bhaat (rice) diet is working great for Elijah. He broke out in hives while I ate the meals that the airlines provided (even though they were all vegan), but since starting the Nepali diet, his skin has completely cleared up. I am really thankful for it. Dhaal-bhaat is not the epitomy of culinary art, but it is healthy and I am glad that I know that he can have it with no problem. I think I am going to try dairy again and see if it causes any reaction because I would like some ice-cream in this heat!




Top two photos: Getting ready to leave Bangkok for India (yes, I did chop off my hair in Bangkok. Easier to manage and cooler)
Third photo: Elijah, the international traveler
Fourth photo: Elijah meeting our friends
Fourth photo: First bath in India
Fifth photo: With Elizabeth, our house help (and occasional baby sitter--Eli stayed with her for two hours yesterday while we ran some errands.)
Sixth photo: with daddy--Mom brought way too many clothes! Shirtless is the way to go!
Last photo: with daddy singing praise songs in the morning

Here are some cultural differences that I've noticed just being back for a few days in regards to how people interact with babies:
  • they are more free to touch other people's babies. Strangers would just walk up, touch Elijah's hands and face without asking.
  • they use their eyes --blinking to play with babies
  • they clap their hands and open them up if they want the baby to come to them
  • people feel free to walk in and out of room (men included) while I am nursing. In a way, I am glad that I don't have to be so careful because it is really hard for me to imagine trying to use the nursing cover in this heat.

3 comments:

SR Parent said...

Elijah is growing well. He looks so happy, as does his new friends in India. Have you been getting friendly advice by the locals in India?
-Cindy

Judy Hung Liang said...

Thanks so much for your update on life back in India. It looks like the transition has been great so far and I'm so glad to hear that Elijah's doing better in terms of food sensitivities. It also looks like there's tons of love for all of you! :)

G-Kids Mom said...

We're so thankful that he is adjusting well. We haven't received that many local advice, except to make sure we keep his bottom dry so that he doesn't get diaper rashes. We've also had people comment that he must be cold because he's not wearing much but they don't understand that he has not fully acclimated to the temperature here. Each time I feel him, he is hot!