Sunday, June 28, 2009

First Sunday Service in India

We ended up going to church almost an hour late because there was a slight memory lapse on Paul's part and we had to return to our place to let the landlord in. But, we weren't too worried because we knew that there was still probably another hour and a half more left for service. The sermons on its own usually go for an hour plus!

When we got there, Elijah, along with his parents were welcomed back. I lifted Elijah up for all to see and he gave a big smile, to which I heard giggles and laughter from the crowd. He really knows how to be charming. As the service continued, he didn't want to just sit and listen, but he wanted to speak while the preacher was preaching, so I took him outside. It was a cooler day due to the rain, so standing outside while holding him was not as bad as it could have been...but, we were both sweating. I was thinking then how I would manage if it was one of those stinking hot days and I had to stand outside holding the little guy. It would not be pleasant...

Before going to church, I was thinking about how I might manage nursing him, changing him, and keeping him entertained and quiet for two plus hours. The kurta (Indian garb) provides a little bit of a challenge to nursing because the top is always so long. With diaper changes, there is no place to lay him down except the cement floor...which if I don't have to do it, I'd prefer not to. The church space is pretty compact so it makes some of these normal tasks a bit more challenging for me. We managed to get the nursing done before getting to church and then he listened to mom's request to do his daily business at home and not at church, so those two things got cleared away. And, perhaps by God's grace (heehee) we ended up getting to church an hour late, so I didn't have to keep Elijah entertained and quiet for too long. Towards the end of the service he started nodding off, but then got woken up again by people's voices....Poor guy, napping has been more difficult for him due to noise issues.

While I stood outside carrying Elijah and listening to the sermon, I looked out on to the field behind the church. I saw cows, goats, and sheep roaming. I spent some time pointing them out to Elijah and chuckled at the fact that here in India, the "petting zoo" comes to you (well, we haven't quiet gotten there yet). Then it dawned on me how different the church experience is here in comparison to the States.

Elijah was wiped out from his many interrupted naps and went down for bed at 5:45pm. I am feeling like I am ready to join him.

No comments: