We left Kathmandu today for Thailand. I have been telling Elijah for a few days that we will be leaving Kathmandu, getting on an airplane, and heading for a new place called Thailand. Because he has been fascinated with airplanes and has been signing it whenever he would hear a plane flying by (even while nursing), I have been telling him that he will get on one soon.
He is so much more aware of his surroundings and this time around, it felt as though he was aware that something different was happening as we packed up all our stuff. We made sure that he got to say goodbye to our neighbor who has become really fond of Elijah. Every morning they greet each other as he stands on his veranda and Elijah looks out the window. It has been really sweet to watch the two interact. I can tell that the man and his wife love being greeted by Elijah every morning with a big smile and a yell that sounds like "Hey!" And, Elijah, whenever we walk by their place, he looks up to see if they are there. Before we left, the man got to hold him and got to say good-bye. I am certain that their mornings will not feel the same.... It has been really fun to see kids calling out "Elijah, Elijah!"in front of the flat. Elijah is a people magnet.
Elijah LOVED being on the plane. He played around with the headphones (swaying his body to the music), and loved pushing all the buttons, walking up and down the aisle, taking out magazines in the seat pocket, and watching all the people around him and their busy activities. He loved it so much that he refused to take an afternoon nap, even though he was extremely tired. Through yawning, rubbing eyes, pulling on his ears, and nursing, he did not want to sleep. Dad = play while Mom = sleep, so he kept wanting to go to Paul. When we arrived at the airport, he saw the escalator and he wanted to his dad to go up and down on it. Oh boy, did he love it! I assume by now he is aware that he is leaving a place. A month is long enough to establish some sense of "home" and we were leaving again. We will see how he does with our current lifestyle as he gets older. For now, I am very grateful that he seems to be a kid who thrives on being in new places because he is so intrigued by all the new things! I am also thankful that generally he is a good sleeper wherever he goes.
On a different note, I can tell that we are getting really good at packing because each time we do it, it goes even more smoothly. Somehow we have figured out a way to make traveling a little less stressful. It is encouraging to see that we are improving and learning to make this lifestyle work with less stress.
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment