Lately I have been really struck by how sweet Elijah is. He is a gentle, sensitive child. He is so cute when he asks for things, putting his hands together in the sign language we taught him. He gets his whole body into it, making it almost a bow. He knows how to say "Please" and "Thank you," also in sign language, and sometimes does so without being prompted. He enjoys saying "Thank you" and watching people smile in return. It is interesting to watch him with other kids, who don't understand his signing. He asks politely instead of grabbing and gets a little confused when they don't respond. I know I'm his mom, but he's so adorable when he sees something he really wants and his eyes light up and his hands go together and he scrunches up into a full body, "give me".
When I see his excitement and sensitive expectation, it saddens me to think of the disappointments and hurts that he will face in life. I teared up today thinking that his politeness and sensitivity will be bullied and taken advantage of sometimes - that I won't be able to protect him from that - but instead must let him experience it some so that I can help him learn to overcome it with love and grace. But it makes me sad that life is like that - with suffering such an inherent part. Our suffering is so much less than most of those around us, but it still pains me to think of the suffering that Elijah must endure. And how much more for the sweet, innocent children around here that will grow up in a much harsher environment with parents struggling to provide for them and unable to protect them from so many of the things that we are able to protect Elijah from.
It is all the reality of the Fall, and it will be so until Jesus comes again. It gives new meaning to me that he will wipe away every tear from our eyes. I usually think of it in terms of making the wrongs right - which it is - but not in terms of restoring that sweetness and innocence that I see in Elijah. Our hope is a great one, but today I mourned the pain that we have inflicted on ourselves and each other with our sin. It will hurt Elijah, many times, and that is sad. Jesus gives me hope that there can be a gracious, redeeming way to experience that suffering instead of just living our lives trying to shield ourselves from it as much as possible.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment