Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Sleep Training

So, I decided to sleep train Elijah for his naps during the day. I realized that I spent quite a bit of time putting him down for his naps and I felt like he is now ready to go to sleep on his own. Actually, he already knows how to put himself to sleep. It is helping him to do it by letting him know that it is nap time and not play time. Because of our transition, setting up our place, teething, and then a cold, I wanted to wait for the right time to do it. I decided this morning was the right time to begin. He woke up at 5:30am, ate, played, and then it was nap time. He was tired and was in need of a nap. I put him down, he cried, and then I went in every 5 minutes to reassure him without picking him up. He was mad each time I left and cried harder, but after 40 minutes of crying, he fell asleep. He slept for an hour and a half. (Recently, he started waking up after only 30-45 minutes of nap. I could tell he was still tired but he wanted to play.) Well, I just put him down for his late morning nap. He whimpered for maybe two minutes and he is down. :) We'll see how it goes!

No comments: