Thursday, June 4, 2009

Acid Reflux? Food Sensitivity?

Well, I am going to have to do the updates on our Hawaii trip another time when I have more time available to go through the pictures and have better internet connection for posting. So, they will be posted at a later date.

Today, I took Elijah in to see the doctor. For the last couple of weeks, but especially last week, Elijah had been especially fussy at the breast and refusing to eat. He and I have both started feeling frustrated. I could also tell that maybe he was not gaining weight as he used to, so I wanted to see if my intuition was right. I took him to the breastfeeding support group to weigh him and it said that he had only gained about six ounces. That is low, as most babies should be gaining about a pound a month. I had left a message at the pediatrician's office yesterday, but didn't get a reply so, as soon as I had the weight info, I called again. They told me to come in to the doctor's office right away because he is not gaining weight to make sure there is nothing serious.

The two major theories are that he is sensitive to certain foods or/and acid reflux. So, I need to cut out milk, soy, wheat, eggs, fish/seafood, nuts, and citrus out of my diet completely for a week. I have already cut out milk and I have been wondering if he's also allergic to soy because he would seem to develop a small rash whenever I would have soy sauce... When you cut out soy, milk, and wheat, I basically have cut out both Asian and American food.... Oh well... Meanwhile, I need to eat more fat because around this time supposedly the fat content in the milk diminishes...

I have to breastfeed him propped up, which is easier to do now that he could sit up with some help. And then, we're supposed to watch out for how he responds when he is put on his back after he is eaten to watch for some signs. After that, we have to try this Maalox test on him for three days.... I am praying that we will have more info and that things will get resolved before we head back to India in less than two weeks.

Meanwhile, our son is rolling over like crazy. Last night, he rolled over in the middle of the night and eventually fell asleep on his tummy. Of course, I was up for an hour to make sure he is breathing right, etc. before I felt confident enough that sleeping on his tummy now would be okay. Yes, I confess--I am a neurotic first time mom....





2 comments:

Judy Hung Liang said...

Oooh. I remember being paranoid when Trinity could roll on to her tummy, too! I hope that you figure out what is giving him the tummy problems. It sounds like you'll be eating lots of veggies, fruits, rice, and meat/poultry the next week or two.

SR Parent said...

Elijah is too adorable and loved to have this food stuff become chronic. Well, I'll pray for you as you have to drastically change your diet. How will that work once your back in India? God will provide.
-Cindy