I'm not sure yet. But, he definitely likes kids. Today, at the Korean mom's group, he was initiating conversation by babbling to other kids and reaching out to touch them. He even got in a little "fight" with another baby two months ahead of him. She took the water bottle from him and he was babbling and had his two fists next to him grunting to let her know that it was his. It was funny to watch. He also offered a cheerios to the same girl he got in a little tiff with all on his own initiative. (He has been offering food to me here and there, and using his spoon, trying to feed me.) I think he somehow understands that you can offer things to other people, especially food.
He is beginning to express himself so much more and is starting to exert his will too. This morning, I took him away from touching something (can't remember what now) but he was unhappy. He got his two fists, arms half way up, and did a scream, which looked like it was the beginning to a tantrum. In a firmer voice, I told Elijah that we don't have tantrums, and he looked straight up at me and to my surprise, he stopped. Now, I have no idea if he understood what I was saying. But, I feel like nine month old pre-toddlers are able to understand much more than we think they are capable of....
Paul and I have been surprised to realize that he understands what an edge is because he gets to the edge of the bed and stops. He also knows the difference between soft and hard because only on the bed does he launch himself backwards and plop himself on the bed. He has not tried to do that on hard floors.
He loves to play hide and seek. He thinks any time he can't see us, we can't see him. So, sitting on Paul's lap, he'll throw himself backwards and arch his neck so that he is staring off into space. Then, we'll call saying, "Where is Elijah? Where is Elijah?" And, after a few seconds of waiting and giggling, with the help of Paul's thumbs, he'll strain to do a sit-up and when he can see us again, we scream, "There is Elijah!" Then he hides again falling over backwards still on daddy's lap. It is hilarious and so cute to watch. Even though he is sitting on daddy's lap and daddy is helping him to sit up, he has no idea that we can still see him.
When he was first born, I marveled at this little creature that came out of my womb, how perfect and beautiful he is. I still find myself marveling and I feel like there is still more things to marvel about. What a marvelous gift parenthood is.
Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment