Friday, March 12, 2010

What's this?

About a week ago, I thought maybe I heard Elijah say the words, "What's this?" But, I thought, nah...he's too young. We were visiting a friend and her kids a few days ago and my friend's five year old says to me, "Elijah just said, 'What's this?'" They were looking at something, I can't remember what...but I guess, Elijah wanted to know so he asked Yoha, "What's this?"

His new words are "Bap" for "rice or food" and "dak" which is "chicken" in Korean. He also says "ball" in English. It's interesting to see what words he picks up in Korean and in English.

He is really into signing. Today, we went to a park and there was a lion statue and he immediately signed to me "lion." His current favorite signs are "clean-up," "chicken," and "helicopter." At times I have wondered whether he really understands the meaning of the word "more" because he has only used it so far with food. But today, he signed "more" because he wanted to get on the slide again. So, I guess he does understand what it really means.

I've been looking for places to take him and we have found a couple of parks that we can go to. They are only open in the late afternoons starting at 4pm during the summer and 3pm in the winter. I wish they were open early in the mornings too when it is cool. The park that we went to this morning opens at 8am, but it is a 30 minute drive. I am looking forward to inviting two local friends and their sons to go to the park with me so that the kids can all play together and I can get to know them better.

We are now down to one nap a day. I took a week to wean him from his nap-nursing and he has adjusted very well. He still asks for it but when I sign to him all done, he whines a little but seems to be able to fall asleep fairly quickly. I feel like he understands what I tell him....I have been telling him all week that every day he will be drinking milk less and less and that it will be "all done." I basically took a minute off each nursing session before his nap, even if he wasn't done nursing saying, "All done." When we got to Friday, he understood, "all done" when I didn't offer him my breast. I don't know how much he understands, but I am going to assume that he does and do my best to communicate with him. It is so amazing to watch him grow right before my eyes!

No comments: