Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Starting Preschool! (Jan. 10, 2011)


Elijah started preschool two days after he turned two years old. We have been gearing up for this big day for a few weeks. We had visited the school a few times so that he can get familiar with the place. Coincidentally, in the stack of DVDs that some friends have loaned us, we saw one called "Let's Play School!" with Barney. So, we have also used it to help Elijah get some idea about what school is and that it will be fun. We have been also telling him that mommy and daddy will not be staying at preschool with him, that he will be there with his teachers and new friends. He would say, "No, Mommy stay or Ah-pa stay." He was letting us know that it was not his preference, but we wanted him to know that we were not going to be there. I also started saying whenever I would pick him up from Sunday school, "See. Mommy always comes back for Elijah." He has repeated that phrase multiple times.

When the actual day arrived, he went out the door of our place excited and happy to be going to preschool. But, as expected, he started crying when we left. We told him that we will return to get him after he has had his lunch.
The first day, when I went to go pick him up, I could hear him crying. He was standing by the door with his sunglasses on and crying. Poor boy. He had snot and tears smeared all over his face. I felt bad that he seemed so upset. The teachers said he cried on and off, but that he did cry quite a bit. However, I could also tell that it was not as traumatizing as it could have been perceived because it didn't take him long at all to perk up and he was in a really good mood when we got home.

The second day was much better. He still cried when we left, but even as we were heading out the door to leave, I could hear that the crying had stopped. One of his teachers also told us that he finally warmed up and when we picked him up, he was having a good time in the playground. Furthermore, he talked about his teacher, Ms. Shirley when we got home. I could tell he had established some kind of bond with a teacher. I was grateful as it has been a prayer point that he would quickly bond with a teacher or two.

The third day, when we told him he was going to preschool, he kind of protested. But, he didn't resist. We walked to school. He cried again as we left but again, by the time we were leaving the premise, I didn't hear anymore crying. That day, after school, I didn't pick him up because I got stuck in traffic returning from OC so Paul went by himself. When I got home, the first thing he said to me was, "Mommy! Mommy always comes back for Elijah." I think he has internalized this truth/reality. He was in a good mood and when I asked what the names of his friends were, he named a few names. (I have been praying that God would help him to bond with a few friends there.) Paul said that he was not crying when he went to pick him up and that he talked about his friends.

I have already seen some of the benefits of preschool. Whenever we would go into a room with a large crowd, Elijah used to want us to pick him up and he would stay really close to us. But, on Saturday, at two different birthday parties, he didn't seem intimidated by the crowd at all. He seemed much more comfortable being in a crowd. He went right in and began playing. He seems to feel more confident to go out and explore instead of clinging on to us when he is faced with a group of new kids or a crowd. I am really pleased with the growth I see in him already.

I can't believe our little guy is already in preschool. It's a big milestone for him and for us as parents. (Mommy and daddy survived the first week too!) We are so proud of you, Elijah! You are a big boy!

1 comment:

SR Parent said...

Wow! Preschool already! How many days a week is he attending? I think the part I love about sending Iris to preschool is seeing her big smile and get a hug (usually) when I come back to pick her up. Congratulations to everyone for this big milestone and transition!
~Cindy